I would say one of biggest issues with classroom management and technology that I have heard teachers talk about is the emailing and chatting that is going on during class time. While some teachers are very perceptive to technology and catch on when students are not doing as they are supposed to; others are not. I feel that no matter what device or set-up a school has, misuse will be a problem.
I really liked the idea of doing strikes with the devices, as was mentioned in the video. For our school, this could be an easy method to implement and could be tracked on our Student Data Program, Harmony. Students need to understand that there are consequences for misuse of the technology, and need to be held accountable. A student emailing back and forth with another student 78 times in two hours, as I was made aware of this morning, should not be happening.
At the same time, while students SHOULD know what to do and how to stay focused on technology, it is ultimately the teacher's responsibility to make sure that the students are engaged. Students should understand the lesson's importance and the classroom should be structured enough that the ability to wander off task is non existent. This is not an easy task to compete. A teacher should be able to follow the same methods, with or without the technology.
No comments:
Post a Comment